Next meeting 7th March 6.30pm

This is going to be a mixed crit and question session.

Claire will present a project for the crit.
Steph is proposing a question/discussion:


I would like to have a look at and discuss the following texts from the book 'The Real Work' - by Gary Snyder - Interviews and Talks 1964-1979
Excerpts: 'The Landscape of Consciousness' & 'The Berkeley Barb Interview - Japanese Subculture'
and
the following quote by Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
'All I'm saying is simply this, that all life is interrelated, that somehow we're caught in an inescapable network of mutuality tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly affects all indirectly. For some strange reason, I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.'

My questions are:
 - In how far is the described role of the poet in society relevant to the role of the artist today? Does it relate?
 - What kind of relevance has, what Dr Martin Luther King mentions, for art practice?
 - Is there something in the alternative approaches and outlooks of japanese subcultures of the 1950s that can be inspiring for a nowadays approach of education, art and living?